Saturday, January 15, 2011

Benny's Bistro

Last night we went to Nipawin for supper to Benny's Bistro.  it is located on the main drag right beside the Royal Bank.  Mark and Laura were telling us about it, sot 8 of us ventured to Nipawin for the evening.  It was exceptional!!!!  The building is the old Credit Union, I believe they said. It is a small but wide open area, that use\s a wood oven for cooking.  You can see right in to the kitchen and the oven on the back wall.  Their menu is limited but they give you choices of the evening.  They apparently have the best thin crust pizza around.  We watched the meals come out of the kitchen and they were spectacular. The pizza's looked sooooo good.  They would easily serve 3 or 4 people.  Or, 6 months ago just me!  

I had the steak special, 8 oz sirloin, served with baby potatoes and seasonal vegetables.  I was able have just vegetables.  The meal was served on a bed of spinach.  The veggies were fire roasted, and were unbelievable.  The steak was pan seared, but very tasty.  Laurel had pickerel on a bed of rice, which looked so good too.  We went over the top, and had their creamsicle cheesecake.  Wholly Molly, the piece was huge but it was melt in your mouth, literally!  Overall, this place gets a 8/10.  It is an excellent place to eat.  The only thing that I would say was a downer was the wait.  I thought it was a bit excessive, but I was so hungry. I chose an appetizer to start, so it helped.  Our entire trip up and back, with the meal was about 3.5 hours.  Not real bad for a fine dining according to the group.

I need to start traveling with my camera.  More pictures to share, but I never remember.  Janna keeps giving me grief about my pics on the Blackberry,so I guess I need to change my format.  I also want to say hi to our good friend Vera and Donna in Regina.  Thank you for following me on the Blog.  We hope to see you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Like seriously.......bb pictures r just not col!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband, Brady Janson, would have been the Executive Chef at the time of your visit to the Bistro! The building used to be the Scotia bank actually, not Credit Union. I was born and raised in Nipawin so I actually remember it as the bank. It was really interesting to see it go from the bank to a restaurant. Brady actually helped alot with the building of the restaurant and design. He has been a chef for almost eight years now, and has worked in Italy and also as the private caterer to the Calgary Flames for a few years! We just recently moved to Alberta and I know Nipawin people were sad to see us go. His food brought a much-needed change to the small town. We often got compliments on his talents and creations. Im not sure Benny will be able to find another chef as creative and dedicated as Brady but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food!

    ReplyDelete